Skip to main content

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PUNCTURES

I went to the shed yesterday morning to pick up my bike, ready for my commute to work. And there it was in all its glory...the unexpected, sneaky and cynical morning puncture.
I am a cyclist therefore I am a puncture repair expert. I have to be.
I have been riding now for nearly seven years in the streets of London, the Surrey hills, Italian and French Alps. When I started I knew nothing about bike repairs, puncture fixing. I was given a 70s Bianchi by my uncle and it had tubs. The first time I puctured luckily it was near home, so I pushed it along the pavement all the way to my local shop. I was charged £20 and it had to be done overnight as the glue needed to set. At the second puncture I decided not to risk it anymore so I changed the wheels with clinchers I had in the shed and off I went. Inevitably I did puncture and like for anything else, took it to the shop but they asked for £10 to repair, and could I go the next day as they were busy!

That was it. I had to learn. I did. Since then I have repaired my punctures and built 4 bikes from scratch to save on the expenses while enjoying the mechanics of the bike at the same time.
But little I knew then what a feature punctures would remain in my years of cycling. Some years I had 18 of them, some years 4. I've tried all types of tyres, prevention kits, inflation levels.
There are various kinds of punctures, all pretty annoying.
There are punctures that sound like gunshots, they are comprehensive and deflate in a nanosecond. The shock is so startling that you change the innertube quickly, keeping the adrenaline going and once the repair is done off you go maybe even faster than before. They're usually caused by a pinch or pretty sharp glass or flint.
Then there are the slow ones, you know they're there, you can feel it but not see it yet. Then you stop and press your fingers on the tyre and you know it should feel harder than that. Try to ignore it but then the tyre starts going down too much until you finally have to stop and deal with it. By then you've slowed down and deflated yourself as well. There's no recovery from that, your ride won't be the same.
The worst are the ones under the rain. Not only you're getting wet and cold, but you don't want to get water inside the tyre while repairing the puncture. Everything is mucky and slippery. Then a car sees your predicament by the roadside and duly speeds up, comes as close as possible to the curb and hit that massive puddle right in front of you. So together with the puncture you get a beautiful free wash with the best muck the road can offer. Well the laughs!
The ones we can put up with are the slow punctures that happen just before you get home on a Friday night, with enough air still in to get you back. You roll into the shed, in the full knowledge that that weekend you will be using the other bike, the full specced one, the bike numero uno, and you can deal with the puncture any time before the Monday when you'll need it again to ride to work.
Then of course that puncture becomes the morning punture on the Monday...how did I forget to repair it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REACH OUT, TALK TO PEOPLE

I wanted to share what we did at the weekend in the hope to inspire other people to try what my partner and I ended up doing. A few days ago we were walking the dogs late in the afternoon and on the way back, in this big field, we noticed an elderly woman walking slowly leaning on her stick. We asked if she was ok as she seemed tentative and a little confused. The very first thing she said, almost without realising that's what she was going to say was: "You are the first people I've spoken to all day". Neither of us expected that so we stayed with her, chatting away for about 40 minutes. We ended up walking her back to her house, exchange numbers and invite her for a Sunday roast. She was going to be 89 a few days later and it seemed a nice thing to do. She was really touched as she didn't have it in her to cook a roast for herself (and she admitted she hated cooking).

LA CLASSICISSIMA, A PREVIEW

As classics go, Milano-Sanremo is the longest of them all (almost 300km) and one of the oldest (1907). Eddy Merckx has won it a record 7 times. It has been marred by late snow at times and its route has been modified here and there, but at its core is the length and flatness, so one for the sprinters traditionally but not so much of late. There are a few lumps, but although short and not very steep, they usually come at the end of a long day on the saddle and have been decisive in the outcome of the race. In recent times, the climbs of Cipressa (added in 1982) and Poggio (added in 1960) have been the theatres of all-out attacks. The breakneck and twisty descent from the Poggio especially, induced some of the most entertaining racing... and some awful crashes too. The finish in the town of Sanremo has moved posts a few times but whether it was in the false flat of Via Roma or on the pan flat promenade by the sea, many a time it has ended in a bunch sprint.

GIRO 2019 SO FAR - THE GOOD AND THE NOT SO GOOD

The Giro, like any Grand Tour, is a race of attrition, grit, resistance, luck and sheer determination that goes on for three weeks. The mental and physical demands are huge and some riders can deliver under this pressure. Others, albeit talented, crumble under the weight of expectation. So it is that every year it becomes a lottery for the lucky and the healthy and the fit. Results, or lack of, before the race is not always a good indicator. This article is not about Nibali, Roglic or Mollema, who are expected to do a good job as leaders and they have. This is about those athletes who have impressed the most or underperformed according to their skillsets (no comment on those who have left). THE GOOD RICHARD CARAPAZ (Movistar) Although 4th last year, the Ecuadorian tends to be quiet the rest of the season, so his rise in the general classification is never a given. He climbs faster than anyone else and his initial brief might have been to be Landa's right-hand man on the